Over the weekend we released new features in the Virtual Earth API as well as new data.
New Features in the API:
- The VEDataType.VECollection supports now the import of 3D-collections
- Import of KML-data into a VEShapeLayer is now possible through VEDataType.ImportXML. Import of GPX-data works as well but is not officially supported yet.
- Localized Geocoding (‘Nizza’ the German word for ‘Nice’) is now found in France rather than as Niiza in Japan)
- Localized Driving Directions
Just add the market to the URL for the VE MapControl like this http://dev.virtualearth.net/mapcontrol/mapcontrol.ashx?v=6&mkt=XX-YY where XX-YY can be
To use the localized driving directions you will have to set the routing options as folows:
var options = new VERouteOptions();
options.UseMWS = true;
- There is new high resolution imagery for England, Scotland and Wales, the US, Canada and Japan
- More oblique aerial images in the US and Canada as well as in Europe (Germany: 5 cities, Spain: 19 cities, Sweden: 19 cities, Denmark: 1 city, Norway: 1 city, Belgium: 1 city, Switzerland: 2 cities, Finland 1 city). For a full list of available Bird’s Eye imagery outside North America see
- A lot of 1m satellite imagery all over the world
In total the data release contained another 33.7 TB of data.